Problem: I can’t decide between a sweet or a savoury brunch!! Solution: this recipe. While a Dutch Baby (think pancake+popover hybrid) is normally sweet, the complex depth of flavours in this version will make you forget all about strawberries and powdered sugar. Not to toot my own horn, but I really nailed the whole umami factor on this one. If followed exactly, the batter for this (Dutch) baby produces a perfect result every single time (hooray for no fail recipes!!). And while you can play around with the toppings a bit, the combo of nectarines+ricotta+salami definitely screams summer.
Makes 4 servings
3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup flour
1 tsp fresh thyme, divided
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tbs butter
1 Roma tomato, wedged or 1/4 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1 tsp honey
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp olive oil
2 tsp fresh mint, divided
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
1/2 tsp lemon zest
1/2 tsp orange zest
1/4 cup salami, cubed and cooked until crisp
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 450 F. Place a cast iron pan* in the hot oven while you prepare the rest of the ingredients (about 20 minutes).
*if you do not have a cast iron pan, you can use a large, non stick oven safe pan as well, but cast iron will yield better results
2. In a mixing bowl, combine the nectarine, tomato, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey, 1 tsp mint, 1/2 tsp thyme, and a dash of salt and pepper. Mix to combine and keep in the fridge until ready to use.
3. In a small bowl, combine the ricotta, lemon zest, orange zest, 1 tsp mint, and a dash of salt and pepper. Mix to combine and store in fridge until ready to use.
4. In a blender, add the eggs, milk, and flour. Blend until very frothy, 60-120 seconds depending on your blender. Stir in 1 tsp each salt and pepper, 1/2 tsp thyme, and the garlic.
5. (Carefully) remove the cast iron pan from the oven. Place the butter in the hot pan. It will sizzle and melt. Once it has completely melted, carefully tip the pan using oven mitts to cover with butter. Pour the egg milk and flour batter into the hot pan. Bake for 17 minutes, or until puffy and golden.
6. Once done, remove the Dutch baby from the oven. Top with the ricotta cheese mix, the nectarine mix, and the cooked salami. Serve immediately.