Sausage and Pepper Tortellini
Updated: Apr 28, 2021
An easy weeknight meal for when you feel like minimal cooking. Easy and satisfying sausage and pepper tortellini. This recipe can easily be made with ravioli instead of tortellini, Italian or hot sausage instead of breakfast sausage, and chicken instead of turkey! I used basil infused olive oil for added flavour, but use what ya got.
Makes 4 servings
8 (350 grams) turkey breakfast sausages (you could also use Italian or hot)
1 package of three cheese tortellini pasta (or whichever flavor your prefer)
Water to boil the pasta
1/4 cup olive oil, divided (I used basil infused olive oil from EVOO)
2 bell peppers (any color), large diced
1 white onion, large diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp red pepper flakes
4 tbs balsamic vinegar, divided
1/2 tsp black pepper
2-3 tbs parmesan cheese
1. Squeeze the sausages out of their casing and roll into tiny meatballs. Each breakfast sausage should give you roughly 3-4 meatballs.
2. Bring a large pot of salted water up to a boil. Cook the tortellini according to package directions. Strain and set aside.
3. Over medium low heat, sauté the meatballs in about 1 tbs of the olive oil. Sauté for 4-5 minutes, until browned. Remove the meatballs from the pan and set aside.
4. Add another tbs of oil to the pan and turn the heat up to medium high. Add the pepper flakes and fry until fragrant, stirring often, about 30 seconds. Add peppers, onion, and garlic, and sauté for 6-7 mins to get some color. Season with a pinch of salt and the black pepper and stir.
5. Add 1 tbs of the balsamic vinegar and stir. It will absorb into the vegetables very quickly.
6. Add the meatballs back to the pan and stir. Make a well in the centre of the pan and add the remaining oil, tortellini pasta, and the remaining balsamic vinegar. Stir and reduce the heat to medium. Sauté for an additional 3 mins, then remove from heat. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and serve immediately.