Salted Pistachio Chocolate Chunk Shortbread Cookies
Updated: Apr 20, 2021
Springs is finally here, celebrate with a cup of tea and some shortbread cookies. These are sweet and salty, chocolatey and nutty. Everything you want in a cookie.
Makes about 2 dozen cookies
1 cup of cold butter, cubed
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chunks
1/3 cup pistachios, roughly chopped
1 tbs turbinado/raw sugar
1/2 tsp fleur de sel or flaky sea salt
1. In a kitchen mixer, add the butter, both sugars, and vanilla extract. Mix on medium speed using a paddle attachment, beat until light and fluffy, 3-5 minutes.
2. Add the flour and 1/4 tsp of salt and turn the mixer to low. Mix until the flour is fully combined and a tough dough is formed.
3. By hand or on low speed, mix in the chocolate chips and pistachios until fully combined.
4. Dump the dough out of the bowl and form into a long log shape. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for a minimum of 1 hour, or up to 12 hours.
5. Once ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 F. Unwrap the cookie dough, and using a sharp knife, cut into thin (about 1/4 inch) slices. Place the cookies on a foil or parchment lined baking tray.
6. In a small bowl, mix together the turbinado/raw sugar and fleur de sel/sea salt. Sprinkle evenly on each cookie, then bake for 13-15 minutes, until the bottoms of the cookies are slightly golden. Let them set for 5-10 minutes before serving.