Mango Coconut Shrimp Curry
Updated: Apr 28, 2021
Makes 4-6 servings
1 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp black peppercorn seeds
1 inch ginger
4 cloves garlic
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp chili powder
1 small white onion
3/4 cup diced mango, fresh or frozen
500 grams shrimp, peeled and deveined
3 tbs vegetable or canola oil
1-2 tsp mustard seeds
4-5 curry leaves
1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
1 can coconut milk
1 tbs honey
Salt to taste
1. In a pan over medium heat, lightly toast the coriander and peppercorn seeds (you can skip this step). Using a mortar and pestle or spice blender, crush the coriander and peppercorn seeds into a fine powder. Add to a food processor with the ginger, garlic, onion, mango, turmeric, chili powder, and a pinch of salt. Grind into a paste.
2. Add the mango paste to the shrimp and mix well to coat. Set in the fridge to marinate for a minimum of 30 minutes or up to 2 hours.
3. In a hot pan or wok, add the vegetable or canola oil. Over medium heat, add the mustard seeds and curry leaves. Temper, or let it sizzle and splutter, for 30-45 seconds, stirring often. Add the shrimp and turn the heat up to high. Sauté for 1-2 minutes, then push the shrimp to the sides of the pan to make a well in the middle. Add the unsweetened coconut flakes and stir for another 2 minutes before adding the coconut milk. Stir to combine.
4. Allow the mixture to come up to a rapid simmer then remove the shrimp from the pan. Turn the heat down to medium low and add the honey and a pinch of salt to taste. Gently simmer the liquid for 8 minutes, tasting and adjusting for seasoning.
5. Add the shrimp back to the curry and let it simmer for another 3 minutes, until the shrimp is fully cooked. Garnish with fresh cilantro and more coconut flakes. Serve immediately with naan or rice.