Cheddar Jalapeno Stuffed Bagel Buns
Updated: Apr 20, 2021
Would it really be quarantine without unnecessarily baking things that you could easily buy at the the store??? Cheddar Jalapeño stuffed Bagel Buns. Boiled in Drizzle honey water, and topped with a tasty combo of sesame, dried onion, rock salt and more jalapeño.
Makes 16 buns
2 tsp yeast
1 1/2 cups warm water
1 tbs honey
1 tbs melted butter
4 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 jalapeños, cut into rings (remove seeds optional)
32 1-inch cubes of cheddar cheese
Water to boil the buns
1/4 cup honey
2 tsp sesame seeds
2 tsp onion flakes
1 tsp rock salt
1 egg, beaten
1. Put the yeast in a small bowl. Pour half a cup of the warm water over the yeast, as well as 1 tbs of honey. Let it sit for 5 minutes until it gets foamy.
2. After 5 minutes, add the melted butter and stir.
3. Add the flour and 1 tsp salt to a kitchen mixer bowl. Put the dough hook attachment on the kitchen mixer. Turn the mixer on low to mix the flour and salt together.
4. Turn the speed up to 4 (medium) and add the yeast mixture along with an additional cup of warm water to the flour. Let the mixer run for 3-5 minutes until a smooth dough forms, then transfer the dough to a lightly oiled bowl. Cover with a towel and set it in a warm space. Allow it to double in size, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
5. Once the dough has risen, bring a large pot (10-20 cups) of water along with 1/4 cup of honey to a boil. Dump the dough on to a floured surface and divide it into 16 even pieces. Roll each piece into a ball. Flatten each piece of dough slightly, and put 2 pieces of cheddar cheese and 1 ring of jalapeño inside. Pull and wrap the dough around the filling, pinching very well a the seam to seal. Repeat the process with remaining dough. You should have some jalapeño leftover - minced this up and set aside for the topping.
6. Preheat the oven to 425 F. Once the water has come up to a boil, reduce the heat to medium low. Boil the buns, a few at a time, for 20-30 seconds on each side. Remove from the water and place on to a parchment lined baking sheet.
7. Brush each bun with the beaten egg. In a small bowl, combine the remaining minced jalapeño, sesame seeds, dried onion flakes, and 1 tsp rock salt. Mix well then sprinkle evenly between each bun. Bake for 20-25 minutes, turning the tray in the oven halfway through. Serve immediately.