Baked Pizza Spring Rolls
Updated: Apr 28, 2021
Elevate Sunday snacking with Baked Pizza Spring Rolls. Extra crunchy and cheesy, made “deluxe” style with pepperoni, mushrooms, peppers and onions. I used pepperoni sticks from The Meathead Store rather than pepperoni and it just looked so darn cute when I cut it into tiny little slices.
Makes 14 spring rolls
For the Pizza Sauce
156 ml (1 small can) tomato paste
2 tbs water
2 tbs olive oil
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp red chili flakes
1/4 tsp fennel seeds
1 clove of garlic, grated
For the Spring Rolls
1/4 cup green bell pepper, minced
1/4 cup mushroom, minced
1/4 cup red onion, minced
50 g pepperoni sticks, thinly sliced (you can also use regular pepperoni)
7 mozzarella cheese strings, cut I half
14 spring roll sheets
1 tbs flour
2 tbs water
1 1/2 cups focaccia breadcrumbs
2-3 tbs olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 375 F. In a small bowl, combine all of the ingredients for the pizza sauce. Mix well and set aside until ready to use.
2. In another bowl, mix together the bell pepper, mushroom, onion, and pepperoni.
3. In a final small bowl, mix together the water and flour to create a thick paste. You will use this paste to seal the egg rolls.
4. Lay one egg roll sheet out in a diamond shape. Place one of the mozzarella cheese stick halves in the centre of the spring roll wrapper, then put some of the pepperoni vegetable mixture to the top of it. Dollop 1 scant teaspoon of the pizza sauce on top of the cheese and toppings. Using your finger, wipe all 4 edges of the roll with the flour paste, then fold the sides up and roll the spring roll up like an envelope. Use a little more paste on the seal to close it. Continue this process with the remaining spring roll wrappers and filling.
5. In a small bowl, beat the egg. Put the focaccia breadcrumbs in a shallow bowl or plate. Dip each egg roll in the egg, then dredge them in the breadcrumbs. Place the finished spring roll on a parchment lined baking tray. Repeat with remaining spring rolls.
6. Drizzle the spring rolls with about half of the olive oil, then put them in the preheated oven to bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and flip them over, then continue to bake for another 10-12 minutes. While the rolls are baking, warm up the remaining pizza sauce in a small saucepan over low heat. Add a little water if it is too thick. Let the rolls cool for 5 minutes before serving with the warmed up pizza sauce.