Saskatoon Berry Balsamic Crumble Loaf
Updated: Apr 20, 2021
Because remember that time you went berry picking and picked 20 lbs of Saskatoon berries that then sat in your freezer for 3 years? This recipe is for them.
Makes 1 loaf, 8-10 slices
For the Loaf
1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup white or raw sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
280 g (just over 1 cup) ricotta cheese
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 tbs good quality balsamic vinegar, divided (I used fig infused vinegar from Evoolution)
A pinch of salt
2 cups Saskatoon berries (sub blueberries)
For the Crumble
1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 tbs quick, rolled, or steel cut oats
3 tbs softened butter
2 tbs brown sugar
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
A pinch of sea salt
For the Glaze
1 tbs good quality balsamic vinegar (I used fig infused vinegar from Evoolution)
1/4 cup icing sugar
1 tbs water if needed
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease a loaf pan.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and a pinch of salt.
3. In another mixing bowl, combine the ricotta, melted butter, eggs, vanilla extract, and 1 tbs of balsamic vinegar. Whisk to fully combine.
4. In another small bowl, combine the Saskatoon berries with 2 tbs balsamic vinegar. Stir to combine.
5. Add the ricotta mixture to the flour mixture and fold until JUST combined. The batter will be very thick.
6. Fold about 3/4 of the Saskatoon berries into the cake batter until just combined. Do not overmix.
7. Transfer the batter to a loaf pan, and scatter the remaining blueberries over top.
8. In a small bowl, combine all of the ingredients for the crumble. With your hands, pinch the crumble over and over until big chunky crumbs form. Sprinkle the crumble over top the loaf. Bake the loaf for 70-80 minutes, until the centre is set. Let it sit for 15 minutes while you prepare the glaze.
9. In a small bowl, combine the powdered sugar and balsamic vinegar. Mix well until runny, adding a little water if needed. Pour the glaze over top the loaf. Slice and serve with tea or coffee.