Chicken and Lime Taquitos
Baked Chicken and Lime Taquitos with all the best accompaniments. This recipe features a cool cucumber salsa and simple avocado crema. I baked mine, but you could go the classic route and fry them. Or a mix of both? Pan fry then bake?
Makes 20 taquitos
For the Taquitos
3 chicken breasts, sliced in half lengthwise
1 white onion, wedged
1 lime, sliced
2 tbs taco seasoning
Salt to taste
2 tbs olive oil
1 brick (250g) cream cheese
2 cloves garlic, minced
Up to 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated (I used about 1 cup, you can use more or less)
1 jalapeño, deseeded and minced (optional)
1/4 cup cilantro
20 corn tortillas shells
Olive oil for baking
For the Cucumber Salsa
1 1/2 cups cucumber, small diced
1/2 an avocado, diced
1/2 a jalapeño, deseeded and minced (optional)
1 tomato, small diced
1/4 cup cilantro, minced
Juice of 1/2 a lime
Salt to taste
For the Avocado Crema
1/2 an avocado
1/2 cup sour cream or yogurt
1 clove garlic
Salt to taste
1. Prepare the taquitos. Preheat the oven to 425 F. In a mixing bowl, combine the chicken, onion, lime slices, taco seasoning, salt and 2 tbs olive oil. Mix to combine. Lay on a parchment or foil lined baking tray in a single layer, and bake for 20 minutes.
2. Remove the chicken from the oven and allow it to cool for 10-15 minutes. Return the onions and lime for an additional 10-15 minutes while the chicken cools, until they begin to caramelize.
3. Shred the chicken using 2 forks. Chop up the roasted onions to make a chunky paste. Cut the rind and pith off of the lime and discard, and cut up the flesh. Be careful not to get any pith in with the flesh, or it will be bitter. Combine the shredded chicken in a bowl with half of the roasted onion, the lime flesh, garlic, cilantro, cream cheese, cheddar cheese and a pinch of salt. Mix well to fully combine. Alternatively, do this step by adding all of the ingredients to a food processor and pulsing till fully combined.
4. Wrap the tortillas in a damp paper towel and microwave in 20 second intervals for 40-60 seconds, until very soft and pliable. Divide the chicken mixture between all tortillas, then roll up like a cigar. Place on a baking sheet, seam side down, and drizzle generously with olive oil. I used between 2-4 tbs for baking.
5. Bake for 20-25 minutes, flipping halfway through, until they’ve reached your desired crispiness. While the taquitos are baking, prepare the cucumber salsa and avocado crema.
6. Combine all of the ingredients for the cucumber salsa plus the remaining roasted onion on a bowl. Stir well to combine and refrigerate until ready to use.
7. Put all of the ingredients for the avocado crema in a food processor or blender and pulse until smooth and creamy. Transfer to a bowl and put in the fridge until ready to use.
8. Serve the taquitos hot with the salsa and crema on the side.